[lbo-talk] Spain Won't Send Troops Back to Iraq even under a UN Mandate

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri May 7 19:25:43 PDT 2004

Doug wrote:

>The position held by many Iraqis, as far as people I trust report
>it, is that the U.S. should be replaced pronto by some
>international peacekeeping force THAT EXCLUDES THE U.S.

Have those Iraqis asked other nations if any of them are willing to send troops to Iraq minus Americans?

***** Spain Won't Send Troops Back to Iraq Friday May 7, 2004 12:16 PM By DANIEL WOOLLS Associated Press Writer

Spain will not send troops back to Iraq even if the international force there is given a United Nations mandate, a senior aide to Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero said Friday.

Spain, which withdrew its 1,300 troops this month, still wants the United Nations to have complete military and political control of the situation in Iraq, the aide said.

``We know this is impossible - very difficult, if not impossible,'' the aide told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity.

``As the prime minister said, even in a best-case scenario Spain would never send troops back to Iraq, even with a United Nations resolution,'' the aide said.

He was referring to comments Zapatero made in an interivew with The New York Times published Friday.

``The mission (of the Spanish contingent) has been completed and it would not make political sense to bring the troops home and then send them back there again. It would be odd, wouldn't it?'' the aide said.

<http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,1280,-4063513,00.html> ***** -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>