[lbo-talk] another request: US multinationals

Eubulides paraconsistent at comcast.net
Fri May 7 19:51:34 PDT 2004

dws at aber.ac.uk wrote:

>First off my apologies. I know LBO talk is not a generic research request
>list but I am having trouble finding some data and a bit further down the
>line the fruits of my labor may be useful for LBO subscribers:
>
>I need to find some up to date stats on the relative share that each
>country has of trans/multinational corps. The ILO has some stats
>(http://www.itcilo.it/actrav/actrav-english/telearn/global/ilo/multinat/m
ultinat.htm)
>but they only go up to 1996. Does anybody know where i can find a more up
>to date source?
>
>I need this info as I am writing an article on theorizing imperialism in
>an age of transnational capitalism. It is basically a critique of the
>Empire / Robinson 'global-capitalist' theorists and the more Leninist
>'nation-statist' theorists a-la Callinicos, Gowan etc. I would be happy
>send a first draft of the article out when complete.
>
>many thanks,
>
>Doug.

The best source of data on MNCs is UNCTAD's annual World Investment Report.

For U.S. data on multinationals, see <http://www.bea.gov/bea/di/home/directinv.htm>.

Doug

You might want to take a peek at Edward Graham's "Fighting the Wrong Enemy: Antiglobal Activists and Multinational Enterprises" which is available online at: http://bookstore.iie.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=91 for a look at how neoliberals interpret such data.

Ian