[lbo-talk] Should we stay? Can we go? Dennis Kucinich vs. Michael O'Hanlon

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat May 8 09:06:49 PDT 2004

The American Prospect Online

<http://www.prospect.org/web/page.ww?section=root&name=ViewWeb&articleId=7681>

The Next Step in Iraq Should we stay? Can we go? TAP debates the U.S. military presence in Iraq. Moderated by Jeffrey Dubner.

By Dennis Kucinich and Michael O'Hanlon Web Exclusive: 05.05.04

On May 4, the Pentagon announced that at least 135,000 troops would remain in Iraq through the end of 2005. Is this the right strategy? While the problems in George W. Bush's approach have become painfully apparent, Democrats remain split on the best way to correct for his mistakes. Congressman Dennis Kucinich, a candidate for the Democratic presidential nomination, discusses the subject with Michael O'Hanlon, a senior fellow in Foreign Policy Studies at the Brookings Institution.

[...]

[Amazing fact I didn't know: "I [Kucinich] led the effort in the House of Representatives to challenge the administration's march toward war, resulting in nearly two-thirds of House Democrats voting against the war resolution. "]

[Kucinich: I want to reiterate that my plan is not for an immediate withdrawal. We are not abandoning Iraq. Many people who are opposed to withdrawal use historical examples such as the Soviets leaving Afghanistan and enabling the rise of the Taliban, but there is an important distinction here. I am advocating working with an international body, the United Nations, to assume responsibility for peacekeeping, development of a transitional government, administration of assets and reconstruction, and management of reparations. That is very different from pulling out and letting Iraq fall apart. I am talking about removing our country from a situation in which we appoint ourselves the policemen of the world and the ultimate arbiters of other nations' conduct. Instead of insisting on "the American way," we should allow others to serve as international "honest brokers." ]