[lbo-talk] Incomparably more civilized

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat May 8 09:21:29 PDT 2004

John Adams wrote:

>On Saturday, May 8, 2004, at 11:54 AM, Doug Henwood wrote:
>
>>you couldn't buy garlic in supermarkets.
>
>I've never heard this before. Would mind explaining?

It was smelly stuff, not for real Americans, only wops and other furriners. I think it was hard to get broccoli until the 1960s - also "Italian." I used to frequent a Kroger's in southwestern Virginia - in Abindgon, to be precise, a relatively affluence little burg that housed the likes of coal industry lawyers. In the early 1980s, I asked the clerk if they had any garlic. He said, "We used to, but not anymore." By the mid-1990s, they were selling baby eggplant and kimchi.

Doug