[lbo-talk] RE: Incomparable progress

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat May 8 12:16:01 PDT 2004

T Fast wrote:

>But the question of civilisation is far too loaded of a term and is almost
>always deployed by those at the centre of empire to rank those in the
>periphery.

And I chose it because it's a nice project to civilize the center. Sometimes it even feels better than hopeless.

And don't forget (Grundrisse, pp. 409-410):

"Thus capital creates the bourgoies society, and the universal appropriation of nature as well as of the social bond itself by the members of society. Hence the great civilizing influence of capital; its production of a stage of society in comparison to which all the earlier ones appear as mere local developments of humanity and as nature-idolatry...."