[lbo-talk] Improvement, not Progress

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat May 8 17:25:48 PDT 2004

>>On the contrary, the Bush team and right-wing pundits have been
>>making use of the idea of history as progress to exonerate
>>themselves, essentially saying that our torture is more progressive
>>than their torture.
>>Yoshie
>Even as the idea of progress is an anathema to conservatives lest we
>progress ourselves 'away' from that which they seek to conserve.
>
>"The pure conservative is fighting against the essence of the
>universe." [A.N. Whitehead]
>
>Ian

Raymond Williams, in his entry on the term "progressive" in _Keywords_, says that "In its most general and improving sense it is an adjective applied, by themselves, to virtually all proposals of all parties. . . . It is certainly significant that nearly all political tendencies now wish to be described as *progressive* . . ." (245). -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>