[lbo-talk] general: U.S. losing, and it's Rummy & Wolfie's fault

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun May 9 10:07:12 PDT 2004

<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A11227-2004May8.html>

[...]

A senior general at the Pentagon said he believes the United States is already on the road to defeat. "It is doubtful we can go on much longer like this," he said. "The American people may not stand for it -- and they should not."

Asked who was to blame, this general pointed directly at Rumsfeld and Deputy Defense Secretary Paul D. Wolfowitz. "I do not believe we had a clearly defined war strategy, end state and exit strategy before we commenced our invasion," he said. "Had someone like Colin Powell been the chairman [of the Joint Chiefs of Staff], he would not have agreed to send troops without a clear exit strategy. The current OSD [Office of the Secretary of Defense] refused to listen or adhere to military advice."

[...]