[lbo-talk] Bush for president - so he completes his failure

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun May 9 11:43:03 PDT 2004

Miles Jackson wrote:

> Yeah, I imagine Carl standing in front of R's rotting body,
> smiling, thumbs up. Perhaps I'm naive, but I think we're better
> than that. We have to be.

I think some number of people are vengeful _before_ but not after the fact; that is, the desire for vengeance recedes as the possibility of realizing it increases. That is, for many at least, vengeance or the desire for it is associated with a condition of powerlessness, while achieving power moderates it. I realize also that for many the opposite is the case.

Related to this, perhaps, is the historical evidence that when oppression ceases, the formerly oppressed find it easy to forget and forgive; on the other hand, those who have been oppressors find it difficult to forgive the oppressed.

Carrol