[lbo-talk] Eagleton on fascism

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Mon May 10 02:19:47 PDT 2004

I don't _know_, but I think there was some trying to blur the lines between the crimes of Hitler and those of Stalin during the Cold War in order to portray the Evil Empire as being as Evil as Possible. I think you see this in spinning the Doctor's Plot--which I think was probably a sick, paranoid dying tyrant lashing out in fear--as a Prelude to a Great Anti-Semitic Purge. I also think it's a post-1968 thing.

That said, I have never heard about the Great Jewish Ukrainian Peasant Holocaust. That's a new one to me. Actually a lot of the people who died in the famine were probably anti-Semites to a greater or lesser degree, it being rural Ukraine in the 30s. I know that Ukrainian nationalists often blamed the famine on the Jews.

Jeet Heer <jeet at sturdynet.com> wrote: Hi, I agree that its a mistake to say that fascists are pagan. The Franco point is arguable. The point about Stalin slaughtering the Ukrainians for being Jews is a real puzzler -- what exactly does Eagleton mean by that? I've never heard anything like it? Can someone clarify? Jeet