[lbo-talk] Re: Cultural Change? ( Marxist democracy)

Brian Charles Dauth magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Mon May 10 20:18:34 PDT 2004

Dear List:

Charles wrote:

> How about violence worked to end slavery in the U.S.? John Brown.
Frederck Douglass, without struggle there is no progress. The struggle might have to be spirtual or, unfortunately, physical or both but there has to be struggle.

You are right. There always must be struggle. I guess I wonder at which point is violence acceptable and how to know when to stop.

> Or Cuba. It took an armed struggle for the initial victory of the
revolution in Cuba;

Agreed. But look at the consequences: queers put into concentration camps. Clearly Castro did not know when to stop the violence (he also later imprisoned people with HIV/AIDS). Is that a success?

Once the ball of violence starts is it possible to contain it? How do you determine when the objective(s) of the violence has been achieved?

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister