[lbo-talk] David Brooks mulls Iraq fiasco

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Tue May 11 06:00:17 PDT 2004

>From: snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
>
>At 07:25 AM 5/11/2004, Carl Remick wrote:
>>Columnist David Brooks engages in some world-class shucking and jiving in
>>the NY Times today. Sample: "Far from being blinded by greed [in going
>>into Iraq], we were blinded by idealism."
>>For those with strong stomachs, the full text is at
>>http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/11/opinion/11BROO.html
>
>I like the ominous tone of George Will, today: the graveyards are full of
>indispensable men.
>
>No Flinching From the Facts
>By George F. Will
>Tuesday, May 11, 2004; Page A19

[By an odd coincidence, I just sent Will an email also (below). Seems to be my day for correspondence.]

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carl Remick" To: <georgewill at washpost.com> Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2004 8:46 AM Subject: 'No Flinching From the Facts'

George Will:

Re your comment in today's column: "[Rumsfeld] knows that his extraordinary record of government service -- few public careers, including presidential ones, can match Rumsfeld's -- has been tarnished."

"Tarnished"? I know that Rumsfeld is your good buddy of many years standing, but "tarnished" doesn't seem quite the mot juste, especially considering your dedication to verbal precision. Your column, after all, calls for "no flinching from the facts," and the facts clearly indicate that Rumsfeld's reputation has been blackened irredeemably and that he should be tried for war crimes.

Carl Remick

_________________________________________________________________ FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar – get it now! http://toolbar.msn.com/go/onm00200415ave/direct/01/