[lbo-talk] AP: Video Seems to Show Beheading of American

T Fast tfast at yorku.ca
Tue May 11 15:22:22 PDT 2004

If we could just get off the continuum of barbarity and civilisation as it applies to nations, races, ethnic groups etc., then perhaps we could move forward (dare I say progress) with a conversation about where progress (with a substantive normative position which underpins the definition) has taken place and where regression has set in. Let me be specific lest you or the list think me simply an erudite barbarian. In the US, Blacks have made significant progress vis-a-vis their white counterparts in some areas in other areas such as welfare reform, criminal justice etc black Americans are worse off then they were three decades ago but better off then they were five decades ago. We could do a similar tour of working class material conditions or juridical supports.

AND just because America may not be the most progressive place in many respects does not mean that progress does not exist. But unless you concede the American conceit in this regard then the whole conversation is a circle jerk...Good thing it is masturbation May.

Travis