[lbo-talk] Re: Bush as the lesser imperialist evil

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Wed May 12 21:44:56 PDT 2004

There's more to the Bush/Kerry issue than foreign policy. Would Kerry dismantle the White House Office of Faith Based Initiatives, restore funding for HUD/Section 8 programs that are currently frozen [which is contributing significantly to the homeless problem], tinker with the 40 hr work week, mercilessly assault abortion rights, situate someone like Ashcroft as his attorney general, and have a generally evangelical Christian administration?

You can say "he might," but we know that with Bush we definitely WILL have these things.

Nader right now is doing his favorite thing, suing, to get on the ballot here in Texas because he didn't get enough signatures. Doesn't look good. Either Kerry or Bush will be pres in 2005. If you want to vote your conscience, write your own name in, as you agree with your own views more than anyone else.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joseph Wanzala" <jwanzala at hotmail.com> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 2004 7:50 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Bush as the lesser imperialist evil

> Kolko writes: "The United States' strength, to a
crucial extent, has rested
> on its ability to convince other nations that it is
to their vital interests
> to see America prevail in its global role." The Bush
administration's
> hectoring and bullying has antagonized traditional
allies, thus making
> American global dominance more difficult to
maintain. In Kolko's view
> Kerry's multilateralism would be more successful:
"Critics of the existing
> foreign or domestic order will not take over
Washington this November. As
> dangerous as it is, Bush's re-election may be a
lesser evil because he is
> much more likely to continue the destruction of the
alliance system that is