[lbo-talk] Bush as the lesser imperialist evil

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Thu May 13 08:11:25 PDT 2004

Bill Bartlett wrote:

If the only alternatives are between an imperialist power in the hands of a weak-minded, incompetent and thoroughly discredited leadership (which will be unable to play achieve its aims) and the same imperialist power led by intelligent, credible and competent new faces, then give us the former. Any day.

==========

In various forms, between different configurations of debaters, this discussion of ‘lesser evilism’ or ‘Bush as usefully destructive idiot’ has waxed and waned over many months, gaining urgency as the election approaches.

My position is straightforward: because real people have lost and will lose their lives as a direct result of this administration’s actions (approx. 10,000 in Iraq alone), I cannot look forward to its retaining office past November. Additionally, on the domestic side, because this administration’s national program forces us to essentially re-fight past battles (for enforcement or continuance of environmental, fairness and safety net programs) I cannot look forward to its retaining office past November. No, not even to 'hasten the contradictions' or a similiar bit of cleverness.

Do I have to repeat the already often repeated statement that no sensible person here expects Kerry, if the nominee and if elected, to improve things on his own? Do I have to repeat the already often-repeated statement that no sensible person here fails to understand Kerry is an imperialist too?

It seems I do.

So yes, there are undeniable similarities between Mr. Kerry, his likely cabinet and the Bush administration.

There are also important differences. Unlike Bush, Kerry is not wedded, so far as we know, to the peculiar ideological modifications the Bush admin has made to standard American aggression. Unlike Bush, Kerry, so far as we know, will face no serious pressure to “bring democracy to the Middle East” or any of the rest of the Bush agenda.

At this point, you might object that this will mean a ‘return to competent imperialism’ and, as a result, prolonged American hegemony. We all agree, I suppose, this domination is a very bad thing, which should end.

The difference between my thinking and that of the ‘Bush is a usefully destructive idiot’ crowd is that I don’t think cheering on the ‘useful’ destructiveness, which will almost surely mean more mass death and mayhem, is a wise way to bring about the end of empire.

You see, chaos has a way of moving in all sorts of unexpected directions (or it wouldn’t be chaos, nes pas?), most of which are no good for human health and well-being. Four more years of Busherian government, during which time more chaos will be sown, might mean the hastened collapse of empire but it would also mean quite a few other things – surely unpleasant – that we cannot foresee.

But the ‘usefully destructive idiot’ cheerleaders ignore the possibilities and, like the mythical gods mentioned in my previous post, assume that only one outcome – the one they desire – will occur. It’s as if they exist outside of time and space and assume this de-construction will happen at some safe distance from their lives and the lives of their loved ones.

.d.