[lbo-talk] weaknesses

snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Thu May 13 12:57:46 PDT 2004

WashPo's Squibs:

This Date in Gossip

• Thirty-three years ago:

In its first season, the groundbreaking CBS sitcom "All in the Family" is the buzz around water coolers and even the topic of banter by President Nixon and his aides. As recorded by the White House taping system, Nixon calls the show "Archie's Guys" and describes Archie Bunker, played by Carroll O'Connor, as a "hard hat . . . looks like Jackie Gleason." He offers this capsule review of an episode:

"Archie is sitting here with his hippie son-in-law, married to the screwball daughter. The son-in-law apparently goes both ways. This guy. He's obviously queer -- wears an ascot -- but not offensively so. Very clever. Uses nice language. Shows pictures of his parents. And so Arch goes down to the bar. Sees his best friend, who used to play professional football. Virile, strong, this and that. Then the fairy comes into the bar.

"I don't mind the homosexuality. I understand it. Nevertheless, goddamn, I don't think you glorify it on public television, homosexuality, even more than you glorify whores. We all know we have weaknesses. But, goddammit, what do you think that does to kids?"