[lbo-talk] Who killed Nick Berg?

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Thu May 13 16:05:06 PDT 2004

> And what punishment would fit the architects of the sanctions against
> Iraq, which killed a million or more?

"The mind of man is so formed by nature that, upon the appearance of certain characters, dispositions, and actions, it immediately feels the sentiment of approbation or blame; nor are there any emotions more essential to its frame and constitution." --Hume

Perhaps lamentably, men and women in boardrooms are not apt to elicit such sentiment--except, perhaps, when they order murder for personal advantage. Hence the rhetorical force of the demand, "No war for oil!"

I'll conclude with an Ariel Dorfman quotation I found on Marc Cooper's site:

"Make no mistake: every regime that tortures does so in the name of salvation, some superior goal, some promise of paradise. Call it communism, call it the free market, call it the free world, call it the national interest, call it fascism, call it the leader, call it civilisation, call it the service of God, call it the need for information; call it what you will, the cost of paradise, the promise of some sort of paradise, Ivan Karamazov continues to whisper to us, will always be hell for at least one person somewhere, sometime."

-- Luke