[lbo-talk] J.G Ballard (And Hubert Selby)

Gregory Lipman gregory.l at mazdaace.co.jp
Thu May 13 22:42:32 PDT 2004

Ian forwarded Ballard's musing: "We might think that the US had enough problems coping with Iraq, where the abuse of prisoners has given a spin of sexual perversion to its drive towards world domination, something the British Empire, with its croquet and memsahibs, never achieved, alas. "

ALAS! Sounds like he's jealous. :) Thanks for posting this- I had somehow conflated Ballard with Burroughs and thought them both dead. Great to know he's still applying his "gimlet eye for the psychopathology of everday life".

FWIW and IAII: I did just hear that Hubert Selby Jr. passed away a few weeks ago. One of the US's most perceptive and underrated writers. Here's an obit. by Nick Tosches: http://www.exitwounds.com/Hubert-Selby-Jr.htm

Greg