[lbo-talk] wow

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Fri May 14 06:41:38 PDT 2004

Alexandre Fenelon wrote:

> -I looked at the results by state, and the two CP´s seem to have did quite
> well in their
> -strongholds of Kerala and West Bengal (on the other side, they are
> extremely weak in
> -other states).

We don't have the system of proportional representation. Consequently, the change in the number in the Parliament and state assemblies is not proportionate to the changes in the voting pattern. In Kerala particularly, a swing of 1 or 2 % in votes is enough to produce a landslide in favour one or other party. Kerala politics is divided into two equal blocks lead by CPIM and Congress Party. A small swing in the voting pattern usually produces an impression of a wave in favour of one block.

>How do you explain the fact of Indian CP´s power being so
> concentrated
> -in these two areas?

CPs had a wider influence in 30s, 40s and 50s. Peasant struggles were an important factor is the spread of CPs. CPs could not retain their positions in other areas for various reasons. Sometimes after land reforms are carried out, the kulaks and even middle peasants desert the Left and become the main support base of a bourgeois party like the Congress Party.

> -Do you think this victory of Congress party will bring some change in
> economic policies

It's too early to say something definite, but it looks as if there will be a halt to privatisations. Agriculture, food security and rural development may get greater importance.

Ulhas