[lbo-talk] Bush as the lesser imperialist evil

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Fri May 14 07:57:18 PDT 2004

On Friday, May 14, 2004, at 04:02 AM, Bill Bartlett wrote:

> A million lost their lives under the Iraq policy of the alternative
> American administration. Are you forgetting to add that figure to your
> balance sheet?

OK, folks, let's cut to the chase. I'm getting tired of this line of argument. Suppose Nader were elected president in November. How many million people do you guys think he would kill in his administration? Since when was he canonized as St. Ralph?

> And you expect to be able to be relaxed and comfortable under
> not-Bush? This is something else that worries me.

I'm getting very tired of this line of (pretended) argument, too. Everyone on this list who has opposed the Nader candidacy has said over and over that we are *not* expecting to be relaxed and comfortable if Kerry wins. Either you guys shut up with this ridiculous "are you going to be relaxed?" stuff, or I'm coming after you, even if you are in Australia. I mean it, too, kids! You hear me? Now drink your warm milk and eat your cookies and go to bed, before I tell your Mommy what you've been saying!

> But you appear to be under the impression that things won't get worse
> under Kerry. That everything will be downhill from there? I'm all for
> optimism, but that's taking optimism too far.

Why do you think things *will* get worse? What specific things has Kerry said that suggest that to you?

> I can only repeat the advice of Sun Tzu: "To secure ourselves against
> defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the
> enemy is provided by the enemy himself." The way Bush is going appears
> to be providing that opportunity for defeat of American imperialism.
> Of course you may think that Sun Tzu was not wise in the ways of war,
> but his judgement makes sense to me.

This (pretended) argument, which I've heard too many times from your kids (Are you still up? Get to bed right this minute, I mean it!), assumes that the only way to end U.S. imperialism is for it to get worse and worse until it runs off a cliff somewhere and crashes. But that only means more and more suffering in who knows what parts of the world for who knows how many years, and who knows what the real end of that process would be?

The world is suffering much too much from this Busshit nonsense now. For one thing, we are seriously running out of time to deal effectively with global warming and the end of petroleum. I know that your profound ignorance of American politics, which you have demonstrated many times so far, keeps you from realizing this, but take it from me that Republicans will never take any positive action on these problems, but there is at least a chance that Democrats will.

Look, let's agree to a division of labor, OK? Since we Yanks don't know sheepshit from apple butter about Australian politics, and you have the reverse handicap about our politics, why not we let you talk about Australia, and you let us talk about the U.S.?

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ Had I been present at the Creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better ordering of the universe. -- Attr. to Alfonso the Wise, King of Castile