[lbo-talk] Re: A brave man

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Fri May 14 12:25:46 PDT 2004

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>
>Carl Remick wrote:
>
>>No, I'm sure Powell and his Army buddies recognized that this Iraq war
>>wouldn't be the feel-good, free 'n easy mass slaughter of Bush Elder's
>>Iraq war. But I don't think the military's primitive instinct for
>>self-preservation constitutes a "mind," as such.
>
>You're underestimating the enemy. You can't be mindless and successfully
>dominate the world for 50 years. It's not our kind of mind, but they're not
>dolts.
>
>Doug

Individually, perhaps, but I think the military is institutionally doltish. To every complex problem there is a military solution, and it is wrong.

I mean, look at the Brits, now preening as the "good cops" in Iraq. Do Americans really want to want to entrust their future to sheer force of arms and wind up like the UK -- an imperial has-been with a shriveled economy and swollen military, wandering around the world picking embarrassing fights like the Falklands War? That's what comes from failing to identify the military as doltish.

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Best Restaurant Giveaway Ever! Vote for your favorites for a chance to win $1 million! http://local.msn.com/special/giveaway.asp