[lbo-talk] Bush as the lesser imperialist evil

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Fri May 14 14:56:49 PDT 2004

Doug Henwood wrote: "So I guess neither you nor Kolko ever hoped to organize a union, or anticipated any need for Medicare. It's all about foreign policy, isn't it?"

For the record, I have worked in union organizing, and have worked professionally with radical union-side labor lawyers. Further, there are many in the labor community who take the same position as Kolko. It is not about bifurcating foreign and domestic policy. There is a clear realization of the way US foreign policy, both geopolitical and economic, affects workers internationally and that the imperatives of US labor should not be based on selfish parochial concerns, for example, Clarence Thomas, of the San Francisco Longshore local travelled to Iraq recently and called for Congressional hearings into the union-busting actions of the U.S. in Iraq.