[lbo-talk] Re: A brave man

Eubulides paraconsistent at comcast.net
Fri May 14 16:50:05 PDT 2004

Carl Remick wrote:

>No, I'm sure Powell and his Army buddies recognized that this Iraq
>war wouldn't be the feel-good, free 'n easy mass slaughter of Bush
>Elder's Iraq war. But I don't think the military's primitive
>instinct for self-preservation constitutes a "mind," as such.

You're underestimating the enemy. You can't be mindless and successfully dominate the world for 50 years. It's not our kind of mind, but they're not dolts.

Doug

The *average* Pentagon Major, Lt. Colonel, Colonel even remotely interested in a future with the org. has read, in no particular order: Vernor Vinge; Martin Van Creveld, Richard Dawkins, Henry Kissinger, Stanley Karnow, Clive Kussler, Tom Clancey, Stuart Kauffman. That's in addition to understanding a B-1 bomber manual, the traveling salesman algorithms etc.

When my dad went to the army War College in the 60's, Paul Samuelson's "Economics" was considered the easiest book to read.......

Ian