[lbo-talk] Re: Cultural Changes (Marxist Democracy)

Brian Charles Dauth magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Sat May 15 10:59:46 PDT 2004

Dear List:

Charles writes:

> Yes Liberal Out Loud , LOL. or Loudmouth LIberal , LL., a liberal
conception of the sacred right to criticize

And radicals keep their mouth shut? Sorry that is just too Hitleresque. Follow the bouncing Fuhrer and only sing his praises and the praises of the Reich.

> Who is your audience in this criticism ? Is it just the Cubans who you
are trying to persuade of your position ? No, now you are including the U.S. imperialists who have been trying to overthrow Cuba for 45 years.

When you are queer you must fight the radical right as well as the radical left. Both have a horrendous history of equality for queers (and women).

> Liberals are in on overthrowing Cuba too.

Okay. So since I criticize I must be a liberal, therefore, I am in on the overthrowing of Cuba. This only holds true if one accepts you notion that a liberal criticizes while a radical holds her tongue.

> Your protest will become part of a liberal petition against Cuban
"repression" , the twin of the rightwing attacks on Cuba.

Well, if Cuba weren't oppressing queers I wouldn't have anything to criticize would I?

> Actually, the Cubans might be more understanding than I am on this.

Well, the ones I know (both inside and outside Cuba) certainly are.

> Same sex sex has a long history , and roots in a number of traditions,
including rightwing and liberalism.

Same sex has roots in every tradition. It is bred in the bone. No matter where or in what tradition I was raised, I would have wanted to suck c**k.

> Your queer theory needs to cognize that there are rightwing and liberal
paths to gayness.

Oh, I realize that. Liberals usually like it on their backs, while riightwingers holla for doggy-syle.

Seriously, "paths to gayness"? What does that mean? Either you want your own sex (or both) or not.

> In other words, part of the skepticism about gayness in Cuba has probably
been because it has a tradition as a ruling class custom down through the ages.

Please. That is the excuse dredged up to justify homophobia, not the other way around.

> Kings and Sultans have engaged in same sex as a kind of royal delicacy.
Most people know about the Greek ruling class custom.

So the Cuban people have this nuanced understanding of queerness, but cannot understand the nuance of being both praised and criticized.

Also, seeing "same sex sex as a royal delicacy" is the product of homphobia not the cause. You have gotten things ass-backwards.

> So, you would want to differentiate yourself from the bourgeois gay
tradition, and by ignoring that your method ( "my sacred right to criticize outloud ") is more like a liberal than a radical.

Accrding to your definition.

> Look around you. Wake up. There is an ongoing attack against Cuba for 45
years from the Yankees ( You are a Yankee in this context, whether you like it or not).

I never said I wasn't. I just added that I am also a queer. Or do I stop being queer when I criticize Cuba?

> You should wish to only praise Cuba in public, so as not to be grouped
with the imperialist liberals and rightwingers.

Yes Mein Fuhrer! (think Stangelove). You are now trying to tell me how to wish? how to desire? That is not radical; that is dictatoral. (Also, radicals never split infinitives, liberals do. You SHOULD have written "You should wish only to praise . . . ")

> The slogan comes from the anti-AIDS campaign and refers to physical death.

I was there when it was adopted. It refers to more than just physical death.

Brian Dauth Queer Budddhist Resister