[lbo-talk] Bruno Latour on post-post-modernism

Ted Winslow egwinslow at rogers.com
Sun May 16 05:44:42 PDT 2004

Alexander Nekvasil commented on the Latour essay:

> Critical philosophy (most of philosophy, really) grows
> out of the distancing of common sense, building upon it
> and deconstructing it at the same time, yet nowadays
> common sense is a game of lights in the mass media,
> constructed, privatized, governmentalized: information
> (Bacon's _potentia_: "Superimposing a new form on a
> given body")
>
> It may well be that the more conservative minded
> (Arendt, McLuhan) have grasped that transition better --
> with the notable exception of the much vilified Jean
> Baudrillard, of course.

I don't think Latour is approaching "common sense" in the way this seems to suggest. He identifies Whitehead with the "renewal of empiricism" and the kind of "realism" a new critical philosophy requires. Whitehead is the source of his idea of "matters of concern."

Whitehead appropriates the "Quaker word 'concern', divested of any suggestion of knowledge" to express "the fundamental structure of experience" (Adventures of Ideas, Chap. XI, "Objects and Subjects," p. 176). According to him, "concernedness is of the essence of perception." (p. 180) This is one of grounds in experience on which he bases his rejection of scientific materialism, i.e. of the ontological idea that reality is "made up of vacuous bits of matter with no internal values, and merely hurrying through space." (Modes of Thought, p. 158)

The claim that "concernednes is of the essence of perception" is the basis of his rejection of the scientific materialist conception of nature as "lifeless" and of his own conception of it as "alive."

"Life is the enjoyment of emotion, derived from the past and aimed at the future. It is the enjoyment of emotion which was then, which is now, and which will be then. This vector character is of the essence of such entertainment.

"The emotion transcends the present in two ways. It issues from, and it issues towards. It is received, it is enjoyed, and it is passed along, from moment to moment. Each occasion is an activity of concern, in the Quaker sense of that term. It is the conjunction of transcendence and immanence. The occasion is concerned in the way of feeling and aim, with things that in their own essence lie beyond it; although these things in their present functions are factors in the concern of that occasion. Thus each occasion, although engaged in its own immediate self-realization, is concerned with the universe." (Modes of Thought, p. 167)

This is part of his reworking of the conventional sensationalist conception of experience and of "empiricism." He accepts what he calls the "general form" of the "axiom" of "empiricism," namely, that all knowledge is derived from, and verified by, direct intuitive observation," but rejects the "sense data" account of experience derived from Hume. (Adventures of Ideas, pp. 177-8) In contraast to what Latour claims, this idea that "all knowledge is conscious discrimination of objects experienced" (p. 177) is the same as Husserl's idea of "phenomenology." Summary statements both of his idea of "empiricism" and of the reworking of ontology he bases on it are available in chap. XI of Adventures of Idea and chaps. VII and VIII of Modes of Thought.

Latour's essay is available on his web site: <http://www.ensmp.fr/~latour/articles/article/089.html> .

Ted