[lbo-talk] Conservative "fun"

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sun May 16 06:56:41 PDT 2004

[Judging from Tucker Carlson's comment below, I have misgivings about his newfound sense of humility. What a weird crew, these conservatives.]

May 16, 2004

The Hawks Loudly Express Their Second Thoughts

By JOHN TIERNEY

WASHINGTON — Not long ago, the word "triumphalist" was being applied to the neoconservatives and other intellectuals who championed the war in Iraq. Now the buzzwords are "depressed," "angst-ridden" and "going wobbly." ...

The columnist George Will suggested the administration get a dose of conservatism without the "neo" prefix, and Tucker Carlson, of CNN's "Crossfire," said he, too, had gained respect for old-fashioned conservatism.

"I supported the war and now I feel foolish," Mr. Carlson said. "I'm just struck by how many people like me who were instinctively distrustful of government forgot to be humble in our expectations. The idea that the federal government can quickly transform the Middle East seems odd to me for a conservative. A basic tenet of conservatism is that it's much easier to destroy things than to create them - much easier, and more fun, too." ...

<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/16/weekinreview/16tier.html>

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ MSN Toolbar provides one-click access to Hotmail from any Web page – FREE download! http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200413ave/direct/01/