[lbo-talk] Hersh: How a secret Pentagon program came to AbuGhraib.

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Sun May 16 13:04:07 PDT 2004

Of course it's legal in the sense that Eichmann insisted, not unreasonably, that his actions were legal. But it's scandalous that Gonzales' patently unconstitutional view is not immediately rejected by his legal peers -- it puts one in mind of other legal regimes.

The argument from legality and necessity that the German leaders presented at Nuremberg was famously rejected by the US prosecutor, Supreme Court Justice Robert Jackson:

"We must make clear to the Germans that the wrong for which their fallen leaders are on trial is not that they lost the war, but that they started it. And we must not allow ourselves to be drawn into a trial of the causes of the war, for our position is that no grievances or policies will justify resort to aggressive war. It is utterly renounced and condemned as an instrument of policy."

Of course, as Chomsky wrote years ago, "If the Nuremberg laws were applied, then every post-war American president would have been hanged."

--CGE