[lbo-talk] Barbara Ehrenreich

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Sun May 16 14:14:12 PDT 2004

On Sun, 16 May 2004, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Thomas Seay wrote:
>
> >I'm very curious as to why you put an exclamation
> >point in parentheses there. I would imagine someone of
> >her fame would never get anything done if they had to
> >personally field all requests and organize for all
> >appearances.
>
> For sure, I agree - I certainly don't hold having an assistant
> against her. It's just that the title of "business manager" is a
> little unusual for an academic/intellectual/activist.
>
> Doug

It would bug me more if she had a "facilitator" or "activity coordinator" or [insert b.s. euphemism here]. Celebrities-- including well-known political activists--are commodities, and it makes brutal (and perfect) sense that even a well known anti-capitalist intellectual would have a business manager. --MCM' and all that.

Miles