[lbo-talk] Hersh: How a secret Pentagon program came to Abu Ghraib.

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Mon May 17 08:03:58 PDT 2004

I quoted the Chomsky piece from the fall of 2001 to point out that other options were suggested at the time -- not just by Chomsky (he quotes others), and not just in hindsight.

Don't you think that, if the US didn't block it, the Security Council (or, better yet, the General Assembly) could generate an institution to hunt down the Osama bin Ladens of this world? Since 1945, Chapter 7 of the UN Charter has provided for the use of all members' armed forces, "necessary for the purpose of maintaining international peace and security."

Part of the difficulty of course is that if they started going after international terrorists, there's a danger that they might march into the executive offices of Kissinger Associates. --CGE