[lbo-talk] Reuters: U.S. Finds Sarin-Loaded Artillery Round in Iraq

Jeffrey Fisher jfisher at igc.org
Mon May 17 11:34:35 PDT 2004

On Monday, May 17, 2004, at 02:14 PM, Chuck0 wrote:

> mike larkin wrote:

>> http://reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=5166116
>
> Anybody want to bet with me that this is a bogus discovery, most
> likely part of a Bush administration effort to massage the news cycle
> to get Torturegate off the front page?

a friend on another list points out that this is basically a non-event, even from the coalition perspective.

--- However, a senior coalition source has told the BBC the round does not signal the discovery of weapons of mass destruction or the escalation of insurgent activity.

He said the round dated back to the Iran-Iraq war and coalition officials were not sure whether the fighters even knew what it contained. ---