[lbo-talk] Interesting article on the irrelevance of Abu Ghraib to Iraqis

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Mon May 17 20:33:19 PDT 2004

snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com wrote:

> At 10:08 PM 5/17/2004, Chuck0 wrote:

> If you have a problem with peacenik liberals who actually DO wave flags
> at protests, why don't you go slap some around with those hairless
> cahones you seem to like to brag about.

I'll do that. A bunch of us showed up at the peace vigil here in KC yesterday and spent several hours hanging out on the grass. Still, that didn't stop the older peaceniks from checking us out and making comments like "We're glad that you are keeping those people quiet."

So here's the situation in Kansas City: it looks like the peace movement is split cleanly along age lines. The peaceniks are older people (older than me) who wear tie dyes, wave Kerry signs, and wear too much patriotic gear. The other anti-war activists are all younger and I've heard complaints from them about the patronizing attitude spewed by the older peace activists. The younger activists resent being told that they don't know how to protest, by myopic veterans of the 1960s who think they invented protest. I wouldn't be surprised if some of these folks would argue that their protests stopped the war (which just isn't supported by the historical evidence).

If people want to work together it looks like they will have to learn to tolerate some amount of difference in styles.

Chuck0