[lbo-talk] Re: circles of activism

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue May 18 11:54:24 PDT 2004

frank scott wrote:

>"Take the proposal to change the basis of representation in the Senate.
>If we were powerful enough to do that there would be no need to do that.
>
>I think this also applies to various proposals to control campaign
>financing."
>
>but then it follows ( sagely scratching philosophic beard) that if we
>were powerful enough to create a social revolution, we wouldn't need
>one...huh?

You're missing the complexities of Coxian thought. We organize, through door-to-door lobbying, only people who agree with us, using a list of demands that fit onto a single sheet of paper. When pressed on details, we say that's someone else's problem. Somehow this organization reaches critical mass, and we (whoever we "we" are) take power - exact mechanism of takeover and exercise of power TBA - with no idea what to do next. Simple yet compelling, eh?

Doug