[lbo-talk] Henry Rollins - Live from Abu Ghraib!

Lance Murdoch lancemurdoch at lycos.com
Wed May 19 00:41:44 PDT 2004

DATE: Mon, 17 May 2004 18:18:54 From: "B." <docile_body at yahoo.com>

>Henry Rollins is going to Iraq with the USO. Although
>never as left-wing as Jello Biafra, Rollins (real
>name: Henry Garfield) did sing a song for Black Flag,
>"Police Story," that went: 'Understand it, we're
>fighting a war we can't win / They hate us, we hate
>them / We can't win.'
>
>Though that 1980s song was about the 'war' between
>punk rockers and the cops, it seems to sum up the
>situation in Iraq now pretty well. I doubt he'll
>perform that one for the troops, though.

One of Thomas Frank of the Baffler's big things is fake rebels and fake rebellions. In the 1950s everything told you to be Organization Man. Nowadays everyone wants you to be a "rebel" - commercials, management books, whatever. Be a rebel, buy a Land Rover. Anyhow, Henry Rollins is one of his centerpieces of the fake modern rebel idol.

____________________________________________________________ Find what you are looking for with the Lycos Yellow Pages http://r.lycos.com/r/yp_emailfooter/http://yellowpages.lycos.com/default.asp?SRC=lycos10