[lbo-talk] Murders investigated

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed May 19 09:33:50 PDT 2004

snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com wrote:

>not surprising.... although I'm sure in mushroomville these are justified.

Isn't 'shroomville seeming kind of marginal these days? The Freepers and the Murdoch media may be waxing vengeful - the NY Post had a "WMD" headline on that stinking sarin shell - but it's not really taking off in the mainstream, where the sarin story was a dud and new abuse stories surface daily. As I recall, when the New Yorker turned against the Vietnam war it was a sign that elite opinion was shifting - but that was like 1969 or 1970, years into the disaster. Hersh had a hard time selling the My Lai story. Now you've got Hersh pumping out horror stories in every week's NYer. Am I being too optimistic?

Doug