[lbo-talk] Re: Particularly Humiliating in "Arab Culture"?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed May 19 14:05:21 PDT 2004

Bradley Mayer wrote:

>Make the peculiarities of American sexual modernity, and not Islamic
>sexual tradition, the focus and issue and you'll have a much more
>interesting discussion.

I'm struck by the way so many (American) critics of U.S. imperialism take an America-Firster's view of our importance on the world stage and just reverse all the valorization signs. Why is the U.S. angle so much more interesting? Isn't this a story of how two cultures - both deeply religious and anxious about sexuality - are meeting in explosive ways?

Doug