[lbo-talk] Interview w/Mahathir Mohamad

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Fri May 21 14:30:14 PDT 2004

....as you know, this issue was discussed at some length on this list. I simply thought this was interesting follow-up, especially as he is being interviewed in the *Israeli* press. I'd be more interested in what the response was from people in Israel. Mahathir is a complex figure, since he seems to have close Jewish friends and even conducted extensive correspondence with Yitzhak Rabin, I think the 'bigot' label is too, um, simplistic. He was also something of a tyrant, though he steered the Malaysian economy in a fairly prudent fashion. It is interesting to juxtapose Mahthir's remarks with those of the enigmatic George Soros: Soros also said that he has personally contributed to anti-Semitism. Soros believes that Malaysian prime minister, Mahathir Mohammad, was referring to people like Soros when he said, “Jews rule the world by proxy.” Soros' projects and funding have influenced governments and promoted various political causes around the world. http://judaism.about.com/library/2_americanjewry/bl_soros.htm