[lbo-talk] Berkeley Intifada

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sat May 22 12:07:26 PDT 2004

On Sat, 22 May 2004 13:08:35 -0500 Chuck0 <chuck at mutualaid.org> writes:
> Michael Pugliese wrote:
>
> > Such anti-Semitism has always seemed the sinister province of
> fascists
> > and neo-Nazis, Spanish Inquisitors and tattooed skinheads. How
> > topsy-turvy, then, to discover that some of the most virulent
> > anti-Semitism in America today seethes amid the multicultural
> ferment of
> > American college campuses. And at UC Berkeley, which owes as much
> of its
> > allure to radical rhetoric as to academic excellence, it thrives.
> <SNIP>
> > http://www.eastbayexpress.com/issues/current/feature.html
>
> This article is baloney. It provides no evidence concerning the
> level of
> anti-semitism on the UC-Berkeley campus. Does it mention any poll
> results? Nope. Does it mention anecdotal incidents? Yes. This
> article
> fails to make its case, because for all we know the "virulent
> anti-Semitism" is the work of a few bigots and wingnuts.

I agree with Chuck. That article was crap. The intent of it, apparently, was to insinuate that pro-Palestinian protestors were behind anti-semitic incidents at Berkeley. No evidence was presented that this was the case. The idea being to equate support for the Palestinians with anti-semitism.

And concerning Micki Weinberg who was one of the people interviewed for the article, give me a break. He can pine all he wants for days of the Free Speech Movement and for the time when New Left activists would do the hora at rallies but that was forty years ago, a lot has happened since then. Lots of water has gone under the bridge since that time. One would think that a son of "left-wing Jewish intellectuals" would have known that already, especially one who was presumably bright enough to be admitted into Berkeley in the first place. I, for one, am not impressed by that sort of naivety or pretend naivety.