[lbo-talk] Orientalists and Islamists

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat May 22 12:14:59 PDT 2004

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>I mention torture and orientalism in the minds of torturers and the
>liberal media, and you and others begin raving about how Islam
>oppresses women and has done so everywhere for centuries.
>Evidently, in your mind, there is a connection between them.

I think this came up because someone, maybe me, noted that the particular tortures chosen were designed for maximum effect in the society being occupied. No one that I know of in friendly precincts said anything, much less raved about, about how Islam has oppressed women "everywhere for centuries." That's your particular hobbyhorse, which you been riding with weird enthusiasm. Evidently in your mind there's a connection between me & the Freepers.

Doug