[lbo-talk] Orientalists and Islamists

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Sun May 23 15:10:26 PDT 2004

On Sunday, May 23, 2004, at 06:27 AM, kjkhoo at softhome.net wrote:

> As I previously mentioned, and as is clear from the post, much of the
> detail come from the Hadith, and the Hadith can be contradictory.

As is true of the Judeo-Christian Bible and other religious texts. Generally speaking, I think, they are the result of compromises between opposing points of view reached over long periods, often centuries, so it's not surprising that you can find just about anything you want in them.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ A gentleman haranguing on the perfection of our law, and that it was equally open to the poor and the rich, was answered by another, 'So is the London Tavern.' -- "Tom Paine's Jests..." (1794); also attr. to John Horne Tooke (1736-1812) by Hazlitt