[lbo-talk] A 'Progressive Conference'

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at rogers.com
Tue May 25 06:36:07 PDT 2004

You're both right, but it's not peculiar to the US left. Perry Anderson's "Considerations on Western Marxism" (1979) is still well worth reading as an examination of how dashed hopes in a working class revolution moved many Western left-wing intellectuals away from materialism to idealism, from politics and economics to culture and philosophy -- a trend which would later culminate in postmodernism. (I hope this last reference doesn't reopen another stale debate on that subject).

Marv Gandall