[lbo-talk] A 'Progressive Conference'

John Lacny jlacny at earthlink.net
Tue May 25 10:05:56 PDT 2004

Munson:

> Some people on this list disparage "activist
> communities," but one thing we suck at is
> developing a radial oppositional culture that
> draws people in and supports our larger goals.
> Some idiots in our ranks will dismiss this as a
> preoccupation with creating a subculture, but
> that analysis simply misses the bigger picture.

Good point. I think I'll put on some birkenstocks and zip on down to the next granola-sale fundraiser for the Unitarian Universalists for the Propagation of Guatemalan Handicrafts, an important left organization. I hear there will be plenty of folk music for all of the "Ragin' Grannies" in attendance, with interludes of "Radical Cheerleaders" and unlistenable punk rock for the benefit of the "youth." On second thought, I hope they broadcast the punk rock and the acoustic "folk" doggerel at the same time, in keeping with "diversity of tactics."

Yes indeed, the "activist community" is one that more and more people want to be part of! Or at least if we keep saying it over and over and pretending we are not a pathetic marginal subculture, it will become true.

- - - - - John Lacny http://www.johnlacny.com

People of the US, unite and defeat the Bush regime and all its running dogs!