[lbo-talk] A 'Progressive Conference'

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Tue May 25 12:12:42 PDT 2004

Nathan Newman wrote:

> But talking about the "community" aspect of churches, while important,
> ignores the fact that the activist churches raise money to DO stuff--
> sometimes building buildings but often more aggressive actions as well.
> Let's look at the fundrasing page from the Pat Robertson's Chirstian
> Broadcasting Network
> https://www.cbn.com/partners/

> And so on. In the third world, Islamic groups like Hamas et al and many
> Christian groups are recruiting through a combination of charity and
> political work to make inroads in the population.
>
> Where is the left?

Good points. How much are we working with progressive religious organizations that have resources? The last fundraising event that I helped organize took place in a church basement in midtown Kansas City. The Midwest Anarchist Bookfair that took place several weeks ago in Madison took place in a Lutheran church. I've been to my share of anarchist events in Methodist churches. And the infoshop I helped set up in Washington is in a building that houses local progressive religious organizations.

Doesn't Amy Goodman speak at churches when she goes on tour?

Chuck0