[lbo-talk] Re: Comments re caste & CP's of India

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue May 25 12:45:51 PDT 2004

John Mage wrote:

>And - Dennis Redmond - i *have* let my annoyance with Ulhas' one-liners
>get the better of me. We have our disagreements, and i've been often
>wrong in my life. The questions of caste and the history of the Indian
>CPs, and the role of US/UK imperialism in south Asia, are alike complex,
>interesting and important. They deserve detailed informed discussion, not
>one-liners (on any of the 5 or 6 sides of the questions).

One of the things that deserves discussion is just what is the effect of imperialism in India. Surely present-day India is shaped by its colonial experience, but what are the mechanisms of imperial influence today? Are we using imperialism to specify the constraints of the world commodity and financial markets? Is that the right word? I really don't know, so those are sincere questions.

Doug