[lbo-talk] Mises gang: the state was a mistake

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Tue May 25 19:36:53 PDT 2004

> http://www.mises.org/fullstory.asp?control=1522
>
> The State Was a Mistake
>
> By Walter Block

This title is a misnomer. He's not saying the state is a mistake. Just democracy. He's arguing the absolutist state run by Louis XIV is more juster, freer, more efficient and less corrupt than the modern one because the Prince owned everything and was there for life.

Just by itself that's the maddest thing I've ever heard in my life. But to arrive at that conclusion via libertarian premises really calls to mind what Keynes said about Hayek and bedlam. Hayek may not have fully gotten there, but Block really has.

Michael