[lbo-talk] Ladyfest East

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed May 26 11:13:17 PDT 2004

Hi Everyone!

Ladyfest*East is a grassroots, non-profit organization committed to supporting contemporary women* artists. We are also committed to building communities and collaborations among women artists in the Northeast, with an emphasis on the greater New York City area, as well as to raising funds for organizations devoted to the advancement and equality of women everywhere. In 2004, Ladyfest*East is donating our profits to local women's organizations.

Ladyfest*East places the majority of our efforts in our annual festival in New York City that features (but is not limited to) the music, film, visual arts, performing arts and literature of women artists. This festival provides a platform for women to exhibit their work and creates a space for the messages and motivations of these underrepresented artists. Throughout the year, Ladyfest*East also hosts social, cultural and educational events that spotlight women artists and women-owned businesses. Through these varied events, we hope to create an alternative community for feminist artists who are not driven by markets and mainstream values.

Ladyfest*East strives to continue in the footsteps of the first Ladyfest, held in Olympia, Washington, which inspired an international grassroots arts movement dedicated to feminist and controversial women artists. The result has been dozens of Ladyfests all over the world. And since Ladyfest*East's first festival in 2001, we have built our own far-reaching network of artists, audience members, and feminist organizations.

Ladyfest*East needs more volunteers to flyer for us this weekend! And we just want more people to get involved. We are hosting an upcoming benefit show next Wednesday June 2nd and plan another show with Bands Against Bush in July. There will be two volunteer meetings this Thursday, both in Brooklyn. The first one is on the Pratt campus and the second one is later that night at Pete's Candy Store in Williamsburg.

Gather at Pratt at 4pm by the corner gate or at Pete's Candy Store at 7pm. The meetings should take no longer than fifteen minutes.

Directions to Pratt campus: take the G train to the Clinton-Washington station. Use the Washington Avenue exit. On Washington, walk 1 block to DeKalb Avenue. Turn right onto DeKalb and proceed 1 block to Hall Street/Saint James to the corner gate of the Pratt campus. Let's meet here!

Directions to Pete's Candy Store: take the L train to Lorimer or the G train to Metropolitan. The address is 709 Lorimer Street. I'll be inside by the stack of Ladyfest*East posters!

Please email me at myheadhurts at gmail.com with any questions. Also, it is really easy to download and print out your own flyers to distribute at our website http://www.ladyfesteast.org

Hope to see you there! Cathy.

Now all the info about the benefit:

Ladies and Gentleman, please join Ladyfest*East for a night of the best in local burlesque and vaudeville entertainment-the one-time only spectacular SUMMER CAMP VARIETY SHOW.

Mr. Murray Hill, the singing, dancing, shticking comedic throwback of yesteryear will be your emcee. This superdragafabulistic host will be introducing a multitude of extraordinary stage acts:

The World Famous Pontani Sisters, a trio of choreographed cuties, have been circling the globe on a quest to bring glamour back to entertainment. Oh de Twirlette, "a sexy squadron of majorettes with major attitude" (BUST) will be dropping by for a bit of synchronized sass. Then there's no stopping the sexy-queer members of the Red Hots Burlesque and the ukulele-playing duo The Hazzards. Be sure to get a slice of P.I.E. with a special performance by Rod Thruster, followed by Johnny Kat's hilarious show of Southern charm.

And if sexy strippers, baton twirlers, and the Kings of drag aren't enough, SUMMER CAMP will feature 99 Square Pegs - a digital slide show of square photos taken by well-known and emerging women* photographers, including Rita Barros, Katrina del Mar, Bridget Farr, Maki Kawakita, Chloe Potter, Christina Richards, Ali Smith, Annie Sprinkle, De LaGrace Volcano, and Carla Williams.

Join in more camp activities with belly dancers, go-go dancers, a dating auction to kick start your summer lovin', tarot card reading, a kissing booth, a door raffle with some Ladyfest*East worthy loot, a DJ spinning all night, and $1 off drinks from 8-9.

Your mama would have never sent you to SUMMER CAMP, but we bet she sure would have liked to go!

What: LADYFEST*EAST SUMMER CAMP VARIETY SHOW When: Wednesday June 2, 2004 8-12 PM Where: M1-5 at 52 Walker Street (between Broadway and Church) Directions: N, Q, W, A, C, E to Canal St. Cost: donation of $7 to $7,000 (includes 1 raffle ticket, additional tickets are $3)

FOR MORE SUMMER FUNŠ On June 20th at Southpaw, be sure to check out Dudefest, a rock show of all male bands to benefit Ladyfest*East. And don't miss Ladyfest*East/Bands Against Bush NYC Hardcore Show on July 31st at Trash Bar, which will benefit both organizations. www.babnyc.org

Thank you for supporting Ladyfest*East. www.ladyfesteast.org

*past, present, and future female-identified and/or bodied