[lbo-talk] Democracy Now 5/26

Stephen E Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Wed May 26 11:59:27 PDT 2004

So, Griffin's book, whether you view it as conspiracy theory or not, *has* moved Falk in a more progressive direction. So you obviously have no point other than to attack 'conspiracism' which as far as I can tell, is a phenomenon which occurs chiefly in the mind of Chip Berlet and his dittoheads.

--actually I thought chip did a stellar job dealing with the Democracy Now debate. I was impressed too that Goodman seemed to be listening to what Berlet was saying, she even seemed sympathetic toward his position [who knows, maybe she'd be willing to have jerry lembcke on to debate the Tailwind Tale]. You seem unlike her in that regard, unable to even remotely concede anything that Berlet says is reasonable. And Berlet was also quite nice to mention at the end of the debate the 'graciousness' of Griffin in agreeing to a public debate and letting his response be posted on Berlet's Public Research site. The way Chip handled himself in the exchange seemed pretty darned respectful of Griffin, even if he disagreed strongly with Griffin on his book's content. And the point he made about Rahul Mahajan on imperialism looking for opportunities to exploit as opposed to creating conspiracies to advance the cause seems spot on to me.

To be fair to Falk, and my last post probably wasn't fair to him, he actually started changing his mind about the bombing well before he read Griffin's book.

steve