[lbo-talk] On a wider scale...

DeborahSRogers debburz at yahoo.com
Wed May 26 20:50:34 PDT 2004

--- Dwayne Monroe <idoru345 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> A lot of Americans like this partial view, it confirms
> and reinforces core beliefs. There isn't a real
> problem, just a few jerkoffs making us all look bad.
>
> The alternative explanation, the one Hersh is building
> -- that the War on Terror is rotten to the bone, a
> kind of illness -- is too horrible (and frightening
> really) to accept.

That's definitely the mindset in this part of the United States (Texas), and the public myopia is one of the reasons why I tend to think the current "terror threat" is deeply exaggerated and being played for politics. And the threats are focused on major events? When everyone is expecting it? Doesn't seem to give the same bang for the buck if the shock value of total surprise isn't there.

I don't think the reaction of the vocal majority in this country would allow a terroristic act to affect the elections here as it may have done in Spain. If anything, it's more likely that an attack would regalvanize the blind followers of the Bush administration and perhaps ensnare most fence-sitters under the net of "us against them" as they defiantly vote to prove that no "furin'er" is going to tell us how to run this country and re-elect Shrub just becuz.

On a positive note, perhaps the Country Music Association can use this moment to inspire their members to cough up some more patriotic butt-kickin' songs and contribute to the recovering economy by increasing recording sales at Wal-Mart. *shuffle shuffle spit*

- Deborah

===== Raising children is like being pecked to death by a chicken.