[lbo-talk] I'm a "committed Leninist"

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Thu May 27 05:28:35 PDT 2004

Why is it hard to distinguish Marx's claims about what, at a minimum, would have to be done to win peasant support for the political and economic arrangements pointed to in the Civil War in France from what was actually done to Russian peasants (the vast majority of the Russian population) after 1917?

Ted --- Yeah, that "Land to the Peasants!" thing didn't last very long.

I am not a fan of the Bolshies by any means, who I think at bottom were irresponsible adventurists, gambling the fate of 200 million or so people on a hypothetical revolution in Germany as they did, but to be fair they _were_ operating under conditions of civil war. There's no way to know how much of what they did was out of ideological fervor and how much out of being backed into a corner.