[lbo-talk] SSC news

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Thu May 27 08:13:03 PDT 2004

Then it seems bizarre that the dissenters would so clearly say, "While these disagreements may not be political in the large sense of having to do with big issues that arise in the world outside of the SSC, they are disagreements about politics -- about the ethics of how people should work together politically. "

Obviously, in this kind of job, politics wouldn't be irrelevant, but "red purge" accusations implies a really steep level of attack beyond political accusations.

So since you raised it, how about listing the details of what you heard since vague implications of McCarthyism is not the best place to leave it.

Nathan

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Henwood" <dhenwood at panix.com> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Thursday, May 27, 2004 10:36 AM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] SSC news

Nathan Newman wrote:

>I'm definitely not happy with these folks leaving the SSC, but from the
>wording of the letter, it seems like it was far more about nasty personnel
>politics and power grabbiness among the majority of board members. Why
turn
>it into a "red purge" accusation?

Because from what I've heard, there was a history of just that.