[lbo-talk] US loses control of UK

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Thu May 27 09:11:20 PDT 2004

[From the Spectator]

The Americans have lost control of almost the entire country

By Frank Johnson

America’s neoconservatives have a lot of explaining to do, and they are trying to do it. We hear them on our own airwaves. Presumably, their line on American radio and television is broadly the same. ‘Mr Perle, you are one of those influential neoconservatives who predicted before the war that the population would be pro-American. But the whole country seems to be against us.’

Mr Perle: ‘Look, I know the country. I’ve travelled there only recently. What you say is a travesty of what is actually going on in Britain. Most of the population continues to eat McDonald’s and watch violent Hollywood movies. That suggests to me that the United States is in control of 99 per cent of the country. And in the small towns, people still vomit in the gutter, and punch one another, late on Saturday nights — just as they always have. We’re there to protect that way of life.’

‘But, Mr Perle, only the other day a pro-American woman, Barbara Amiel, had her entire pro-war column blown up in the Daily Telegraph, an area assumed to be under American control. It was believed to be an inside job. The bomb is thought to have been planted by the management. If that can happen at the Daily Telegraph, no pro-American is safe.’

‘I don’t deny that terrible things are still happening, like the assassination of that poor lady; or, depending on the position of her Hollinger share options, rich lady. No compound can be made completely secure. But the explanation for that particular atrocity was a complex one. She may have been assassinated for reasons unconnected with the war and more to do with some arranged marriage. I myself worked with her most recent husband. We fell out. He claims Henry Kissinger and I threw a lot of money at him, and he had no alternative but to trouser it. So, at the moment he is trying to assassinate me. Not that I’m suggesting that he assassinated her, so far as I know. But I admit that pro-American forces temporarily lost control of certain parts of the Daily Telegraph, as they did Fallujah. We still have Charles Moore at the Telegraph, though. His column is pro the war.’

‘But that’s not true of Moore’s rival religious leaders. For example, Ayatollah Williams is preaching against the war.’

‘My own view is that we should have arrested Williams some time ago. I don’t see why the Church of England Triangle, around Canterbury, should be a no-go area for Coalition forces. Martyrdom is what Williams wants. Let’s give it to him. It’s time to kick some cassock. This is a society which respects only force.’

‘But it’s not just the Christians who are against you now. The Conservative leader, Mullah Howard, has just called on Tony Blair to distance himself from President Bush. And the Conservatives are pagan. They lost power partly because of their belief in sex-after-government. Also, Conservative columnists are more and more against the war.’

‘That’s all the more reason why the country will not be stable until the British people are not allowed to govern themselves.’ ...

http://www.spectator.co.uk/article.php?table=old&section=current&issue=2004-05-29&id=4668

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ MSN Toolbar provides one-click access to Hotmail from any Web page – FREE download! http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200413ave/direct/01/