[lbo-talk] the NYT editors' note

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Thu May 27 16:52:42 PDT 2004

On Thu, 27 May 2004, Bill Keller was quoted as saying:

> "I don't see this as an apology. I see this as an explanation. It's
> not a note that's going to satisfy our most bloodthirsty critics."

And of course it doesn't -- it doesn't even satisfy its mild critics. But to be fair to the Grey Lady, Jack Schaeffer makes a good point in his piece on the "mini-culpa:"

http://slate.msn.com/id/2101294/

<excerpt>

Granted, the note is months late in arriving.

Granted, it doesn't take a lot of courage to dump on the Iraqi

defectors a couple of days after the U.S. government gives former

exile in chief Ahmad Chalabi the big kiss-off. And granted, it is not

the note I would have written. But as a demonstration of

accountability, it exceeds what most of the rest of the errant press

corps has done by a factor of 100.

<end excerpt>

Michael